Frequently Asked Questions


Adoption files are closed to the public. Adopted persons who wish to obtain information about themselves and their birth relatives, or birth parents seeking to give information to their birth children should contact:
Adoption Records Search Program
P.O. Box 8916
Madison WI 53578-8916

After the adoption hearing, a check for the fee for generating a new birth certificate will be collected. The vital records department of the state of birth creates the new birth certificate. If your child was born in a foreign country, Wisconsin will create a certificate of birth facts. (The foreign birth certificate and English translation are required.)

Any child whose adoption would otherwise be valid under Wisconsin statutes may be readopted in this state. Often a child adopted in a foreign country by Wisconsin residents is readopted in order to obtain a Wisconsin certificate of birth facts for the child.

No. Adoption hearings are closed to the public. Requests by the parties to allow family and close family friends to attend the hearing are generally granted by the judge.

Chapter 48 of the Wisconsin Statutes (specifically § 48.81 to 48.978)

You can download the forms from the Wisconsin Court Systems Website of the Clerk of court Other Court Forms page.


Many probate records go back to 1848. To search for information, you will need the person's first and last name and approximate date of death or date that documents were filed. The State Historical Society has duplicate records for cases filed before 1930 which may be easier to read, retrieve and copy.


Yes! A scaled-down version of the information on the court computer docket is available on the internet on Wisconsin Circuit Court Access (CCAP). Here you can find case numbers, the name of the personal representative, the final date to file claims (if it has not yet been passed), and whether any claims have been filed.

The Wisconsin Statutes have several chapters regarding Probate Court actions. Look especially in chapters 851-882.

Check the Wisconsin Register in Probate Association website or the links on the Wisconsin State Law Library's Legal Topic Probate for more resources and information.

The Wisconsin Statutes have several chapters that outline deadlines for Probate Court related actions. Look especially in chapters 851-882.


Any interested person can ask the court to end the guardianship at any time. Usually, a GAL will be appointed and sometimes a hearing will be held to see if termination is appropriate.

If a ward moves, the guardian MUST notify the court in writing as soon as possible. In all correspondence with the court, please provide the case number, the ward's name and address and the guardian's name and address. Send correspondence to Green County Register in Probate, 2841 6th Street, Monroe, WI 53566. If a ward is being moved to a more restrictive environment (for example, from a group home to a nursing home), the guardian should also explain briefly the reason for the move and send a copy of the notice to Green County's Adult Protective Services at the following address:

Green County Human Services

Adult Protective Services

N3152 State Hwy 81

Monroe, WI 53566

If a ward objects to this move, he or she is entitled to a hearing within 96 hours of filing a petition with the court.

A court order for protective placement may be required to authorize a guardian of the person to place or keep someone at a nursing home or group home. These orders are reviewed each year to determine whether the person is in the least restrictive environment consistent with his or her needs and abilities. This review is known as a "Watts Review." An attorney will be appointed as Guardian ad Litem (GAL) to review reports about the ward and request a hearing before the court if appropriate.

Per Wisconsin statute chapter 54 “Guardianships and Conservatorships”, temporary guardianships last for 60 days and can be extended for another 60 days. "Permanent" guardianships end when the child turns 18 or the Court orders the guardianship to be terminated.

The Wisconsin Statutes have several chapters that describe guardianships, but look especially in 54 “Guardianships and Conservatorships” and 55 "Protective Service System."

The Wisconsin Statutes have several chapters that describe guardianships, but look especially in chapters 54 “Guardianships and Conservatorships” and 48 "Children's Code."

Records regarding guardianship of the estate of a minor or adult are open to the public, but records regarding guardianships of incompetent persons and guardianship of the person of a minor are closed.